Prof. Dinesh Kumar joined J.C. Bose University of Science & Technology, YMCA, Faridabad (formerly YMCA University of Science & Technology, Faridabad) as the Vice-Chancellor on 4.11.2015. Prof. Kumar has been awarded the prestigious Indian Science Congress Association Homi J Bhabha Gold Medal by Prime Minister of India.
Previously he has worked as Director of UIET from August 2010 to January 2015. He has been Chairman, Department of Electronic Science at Kurukshetra University from 1.05.2006- 30.04.2009 and then again from 1.05.2013-3.11.2015. He has worked as Director, Kurukshetra University Alumni Association for many years and generated funds to the tune of Rs 5 Crores.
Dinesh Kumar, Professor, Kurukshetra University obtained his M.Phil. in Microelectronic Engineering & Semiconductor Physics in 1991 and Ph.D. in 1994 from Cambridge University, U.K. under the supervision of Prof. A. M. Campbell at Department of Engineering. He travelled to INFM-TASC, Trieste, Italy in 1998 and worked there as a Post-Doctoral Research Associate with Prof. Alfonso Franciosi. In 2003, he was awarded the Commonwealth Fellowship by the Association of Commonwealth Universities, London to work again at Cambridge University in Prof. Mark Blamire’s group. During this he has also worked as a bye-fellow of Selwyn College, Cambridge. A total of 15 students have already completed their Ph.D. theses and nearly 40 students have completed their M.Tech. degree under his guidance. He has already published more than 100 research papers.
Prof. Kumar is a widely travelled person and has been to France, Italy, Germany, Austria, England, USA, Russia, Australia and many more in connection with his research activities. His research group is engaged in the fabrication and characterization of semiconductor devices and thin films. Currently he is supervising eight students for their Ph.D. thesis.
He has worked as the Coordinator of the National Programme for developing MEMS and Microsystems at Kurukshetra University. He was awarded the Nanomission project by DST worth Rs. 2.96 Crore to support M.Tech. (Nanoscience and Technology) programme at Electronic Science Department, Kurukshetra University.
As per Haryana Act No. 21 of 2009 (section 10):
(1) The Government shall constitute a Selection Committee consisting of one nominee of the Chancellor and two nominees of the Executive Council, which shall prepare a panel of at least three names, in alphabetical order, from which the Chancellor shall appoint the Vice Chancellor, on the advice of the Government. The terms and conditions of service of the Vice-Chancellor shall be determined by the Chancellor, on the advice of the Government.
(2) The Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for a period of three years which may be renewed for not more than one term :
Provided that he shall cease to hold the office on attaining the age of sixty-five years irrespective of the fact that his term has not expired.?
(3) The Chancellor may, on the advice of the Government, cause an inquiry to be held in accordance with the principles of natural justice, and remove the Vice-Chancellor from office, if he is found on such inquiry, to be a person patently unfit to be continued in such office.
(4) If the Vice-Chancellor is unable to perform his duties owing to his temporary' incapacity on account of illness or any other reasons, or the office of the Vice-Chancellor falls vacant due to death, resignation or otherwise, the Chancellor shall make arrangements for the performance of duties of the Vice-Chancellor until the existing Vice-Chancellor is able to resume his office or until a regular Vice-Chancellor is appointed, as the case may be.
(5) The Vice-Chancellor shall be the principal executive and academic officer of the University and shall exercise general supervision and control oyer the affairs of the University and gi ve effect to the decisions of all the authorities of the University.
(6) The Vice-Chancellor may, if he is of the opinion that immediate action is necessary on any matter, exercise any power conferred on any authority of the University by or under this Act, except in the matters involving creation or abolition of a Faculty, Department or Post, the matter involving appointment or removal of an employee :
Provided that the Vice-Chancellor before exercising powers under this section shall record in writing the reasons, why the matter cannot wait till the meeting of the authority concerned :
Provided further that if the authority concerned is of the opinion that such action ought not to have been taken by the Vice-Chancellor, it may refer the matter to the Chancellor, whose decision thereon shall be final :
Provided further that any person in the service of the University who is aggrieved by the action taken by the Vice-Chancellor under this sub¬section shall have the right to represent to the Executive Council within one month from the date on which decision on such action is communicated to him and thereupon the Executive Council may confirm, modify or reverse the action taken by the Vice-Chancellor. The employee shall be informed that the action has been taken under emergency powers.
(7) The Vice-Chancellor shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be prescribed by the Statutes or Ordinances.
Powers and duties of vice chancellor as per statues:
(i) The Vice-Chancellor shall be the ex-officio Chairman of the Executive Council, the Academic Council and the Finance Committee, and shall, in the absence of the Chancellor, preside over the convocations of the University held for conferring degrees and over the meetings of the Court. The Vice-Chancellor shall be entitled to be present at, and to address, any meeting of any authority or other body of the University, but shall not be entitled to vote thereat, unless he is a member of such authority or body.
(ii) It shall be the duty of the Vice-Chancellor to see that the provisions of the Act, the Statutes, the Ordinances and the Regulations are duly observed and he shall take all necessary steps to ensure such observance.
(iii) The Vice-Chancellor shall have the power to convene or cause to be convened meetings of the Court, the Executive Council, the Academic Council and the Finance Committee and any other authority or body of the University.
(iv) The Vice-Chancellor shall exercise general control over the affairs of the University and shall give effect to the decisions of the authorities of the University.
(v) The decision of the Vice-Chancellor regarding seniority for nomination to the various authorities or bodies of the University, shall be final.