Digital Learning Management System
Unleashing the Learning Avenues through indigenous Digital LMS
University has a dedicated web-based Learning Management system named “Digital Learning Management System (DLMS)” which is in-house developed. The key objective of this practice is to host and track online learning. Providing a virtual hub where learners can access course materials, DLMS aims to make contents accessible to remote learners, support blended and flipped learning environments; and provide a central location for learning across the university. This system provides a full suite of modules that supports a range of users, acts as a platform for online content creation and delivery in both asynchronous and synchronous modes. It offers classroom management, where teachers may curate and integrate course materials, articulate learning goals, align content and assessments, track studying progress, and create customized tests for students. Itis used to manage all types of study material including lecture contents in the form of Power Point Presentations (PPTs), Portable Document Format (PDFs), assignments and video lectures.
At the student end, the system provides facilities to view the shared content, submit due assignments & tests, track their studying progress and interact with their teachers. On the other hand, teachers can manage courses, schedule their time table, bind students with their classes, assess the assignments & tests, make announcements, interact with the students and schedule online classes.
Amid this time of social distancing, the DLMS has strengthened the connection between teachers and students; and fosteredtheir engagement via online classes.
The purpose of the practice was to combine the traditional instructor-led approach with online learning to enable learners to have control over their training. Even during pandemic conditions of COVID-19, when universities were suddenly shutdown due to Govt. orders, this system helped to continue teaching-learning processes of the university in the online mode including online sessional exams and online proctored exams.
The practice of DLMS was started in order to address the followings:
- the standards of higher education align with the expectations.
- the departments are able to promote and enhance high quality teaching and learning.
- the academic calendar of the University is strictly adhered with, in terms of timelines.
- the faculty members keep their academic records, which are readily retrievable, in soft form through in-house developed Enterprise Resource portal (ERP) linked with DLMS.
- enable faculty members to create customized study material and examinations for students, which are accessible and submitted online.
- support blended mode of learning and flipped classroom teaching-learning in the university to cater more efficient classroom training.
- the students are fully supported in their academic and personal development during pandemic conditions.
DLMS is enabled with features like facility of uploading study material and assignments, live chat, live classes, test facility, continuous assessment, discussion forums etc. and students can access it with their login. The quick links of important platforms like university’s Library e-portal, National Digital Library, SWAYAM, Spoken tutorial, ZOOM, Google Classrooms and other e-platforms have also been integrated in this system.
DLMS is an online platform that enables the delivery of materials, resources, tools, and activities to students both in and out of the classroom environment. It allows teachers to offer customized instruction that can be accessed by students anytime, anywhere without geographic constraints. The system is used to support learning by providing a space where materials can be stored and organized, assessments can be given, and students and teachers can interact using live chat and discussion forums. Teachers can share case studies, application oriented real-world problems, take open book tests, give open ended questions in present scenario for assessing lower and higher order learning performance of students and for assessment purpose.
The advantages of DLMS are interoperability, accessibility, reusability, durability, maintenance ability and adaptability. The salient features of DLMS are as follows:
- DLMS supports content in various formats: text, video, PPTs, PDFs etc.
- One can access course material anytime and from anywhere.
- The evaluation of students is easier and fair, based on student attendance and online examination, both in objective and subjective mode.
- Students and teachers can reuse the material every time they need.
Access DLMS here: https://digitallearning.jcboseustymca.co.in/
Teacher’s Help Manual: Click here
Student’s Help Manual: Click here